Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pumping in flight - you have questions I have answers



Pumping in flight – you have questions I have answers


I pumped and traveled for about 4 months with my first son and luckily made it the whole time without ever having to pump while in flight.  However this time . . . I have had to work it in while in flight a few times now due to longer flights and running late to the airport.  I’ve noticed a few posts on various message boards on this topic so wanted to share any tips that I have and that I have read to make it as easy as possible in case you ever have to do it.  I can’t say it was the most enjoyable thing I have ever done . . . so anything I can share to help others will pay it forward.


  • Make sure you have a battery pack to use.  Airplane bathrooms typically do not have outlets.  If you have the space and desire to pump while in your seat, some larger airplanes and upgraded sections have outlets at the seat.  I have read many group posts of individuals who have pumped while in their seat.  I wasn’t that brave to be honest and usually was seated next to multiple males so I chose to use the restroom.  Whichever is most convenient and comfortable for you. 

  • You could also use a manual pump, although I find that takes longer and I want to get in and out as fast as I possibly can.  I’ve done both, the electric one was much more efficient. 

  • Always always always have an extra set of batteries with you.

  • I did indicate to the flight attendant I would be a little bit in the bathroom, that way they don’t worry if they notice you have been in there a while.

  • I usually stuff my pump in my carry-on either above the seat or as gate check for smaller planes.  However, to pump on the plane it is easiest if you take your pump as your second item and check your bag, or I have also taken my pump out at the last minute before gate checking my carry-on so I have it with me. 

  • Make sure you have sanitary wipes (I like the Medela brand) to wipe your materials when done.  I chose not to use the sink to rinse them, I wiped them off and put them back in my Ziploc bag.

  • I usually timed it to go either right when the seatbelt light went off and they were getting the drink carts ready (no one else usually gets up during that time since the flight attendants are in the aisle) or whenever there was no line.

  • I have read some posts of individuals who said they felt bad since people had to wait for the bathroom when they pumped in there.  I say do NOT feel bad!  You are putting in a lot of work and effort to do something great for your baby so you take all the time you need. 

  • I have read several comments from posters who have used various cover ups, I don’t have any special one but I always usually have a big infinity scarf on which helps with the cover up if that works for you too.

  • Finally, I have answered many group posts about milk storage while traveling.  For me, the Medela freezer packs with the blue ice pack and bottles work best.  I take 2 of them plus a free Similac one I got somewhere on my trips.  Whichever brand or line works best for you I would use, but those are the ones I have used with both kids and have worked well for me.


Feel free to PM me with specific questions, you can do it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment